Monday, December 7, 2009

Diagnostics

I know some out there are wondering what exactly it is I'm doing down here. I don’t know that I’ve taken much time to clarify. In all honesty, I’m still in the ongoing process of finding out myself. As a Youth, Family and Community Development volunteer my reach is quite broad. The list of potential projects is virtually endless. Right now though I have one specific task to focus much of my efforts on before tackling that endless list of projects.

These initial 3 months of service are dedicated to a Community Diagnostic. This is the time when we integrate into the community, build confianza, continue to improve our Spanish, attempt to meet everyone and work on a large presentation that will be our guide to projects and community needs over the next 2 years.

The diagnostic has many layers. There are interviews to be done with community members. Work to be done with community groups and organizations. Creation of community maps, priority matrices and seasonal calendars. Compiling of data to prepare the presentation and constructing a work plan for my first year of service.

Based on the results of my diagnostic, I will be better able to understand the needs of the community and the resources at my disposal to meet those needs. Doing this work and dedicating time to community integration prevents me from entering my site on Day 1 and thinking I know what is best for the community before I’ve even met with anyone. With the diagnostic I should able to better understand my community after 3 months and they’ll better understand who I am and what my role is as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

While that still doesn’t do much in explaining my role here as a Youth PCV and the types of projects I’ll eventually be doing, it does attempt to explain what it is I am to be doing (and not doing) in these initial months.

Knowing I have the diagnostic to complete is a necessary crutch to lean on. Not having multiple projects going on and having a flojo daily schedule can make one feel like they aren’t getting much accomplished and are doing a disservice to their community. The people here are definitely beginning to wonder when the gringo is gonna start doing stuff. I have to continually remind myself that these initial days and months are dedicated largely to the diagnostic and not get down on myself for not having classes, practices and/or charlas on a daily basis.

With the holiday season in full swing, time seems to be playing tricks. Days crawl by slowly while weeks elapse quickly. It makes little sense. It’s both irritating and delightful. This trend is sure to continue into the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment