Thursday, June 3, 2010

Moho

The rainy season may have just begun, but it is already kicking my ass. The constant rain keeps everyone indoors and makes holding regularly scheduled classes and/or meetings a near impossibility. The constant rain has also turned my small apartment into a breeding ground for moho, or mold.

I don’t have a back door to help air pass through my place and have persiana windows that do not let in large amounts of sunlight. Those things coupled with the rains have made things good and damp in my apartment for the past few weeks. The dampness and humidity have led to lots of moho. I am fortunate that my apartment itself is made of bloc and not wood, but all of my furniture is wooden and currently black, blue and fuzzy. The mold on my dresser has spread to clothes and the mold on shelves has spread to books and papers. Lots of stuff had to be thrown out.

The past few days have been full of scrubbing everything with bleach and asking neighbors and businesses where one can buy a dehumidifier, which has led to blank stares and mistranslations. Apparently they are far from common down here. So for now it is just bleach baths for all of my belongings and hoping that my black fuzzy roommate has gone away for good. Vamos a ver.

No comments:

Post a Comment